November 17, 2010

Christianity in the Mud

Christianity in the mud is defined as: being busy, being active, making movement, but going nowhere.

While we know that this is not how Christianity is to be lived, or the Christianity we want to live...it is sadly the Christianity that we do live. It is the Christianity that leaves it's followers frustrated, and it is the Christianity that a lost world looks at and says, "yeah...thanks for the offer, I mean...I can see that it is working for you (sarcasm), but I am going to have to pass". Now, I am not saying that what you do or don't do is going to determine someones eternal destination (you are not powerful enough to control that), but I am saying that what you do or don't do, in regards to your Christian walk, is going to determine your joy. The Scriptures say that in His presence there is "fullness of joy" (Psalm 16:11). It does not say, being busy, being active or making movement brings joy. Joy alone is found in his presence.

John Piper touches on this in his book Desiring God, when he says "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him". So, how do we get there? Here is one way to maximize Gods glory (The Cake) and your joy (the icing).

Be in Gods will. Be where God wants you to be and no where else. When we are outside of his plan, it is we who miss out. God's plan is ultimately for His glory, but through him getting his glory, we get our joy. The fullness of joy that God offers is only found when you are found where he desires us to be. How do we do this?

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

I used to think that this verse meant that if I gave God some lip service, did some duties for him, sang a few songs and helped a few old ladies across the street that he would give me what I desired. I quickly found out I was retarted and wrong. Here is what it means: When God is our hearts true desire and nothing else is sitting on the seat of "god" in our heart (money, toys, phones, popularity, friends, fun, good times, kids, safety, rebellion, pride, false humility, hatred, fear) then He wll begin to put desires on your heart. When we (personally) are satisfied in him, he is glorified in us...because he is getting out of our lives what he desired. He is getting his will done in your life...and that brings him glory and us joy. But please remember that his glory is ultimate...it is the cake...our joy is secondary...the icing...it just makes it that much better. We do not serve a God who is completely selfish, demanding from us and giving nothing in return. Rather, he is completely good. Who do you know that can get glory for themselves and joy for you in the same action? The answer to this question will be left blank unless God is your answer.

Francis Chan wrote a book titled Forgotten God "Reversing Our Tragic Neglect Of The Holy Spirit". I would have to agree with the subtitle. I know that I definitely grew up with a lacking understanding of the Holy Spirit; all I knew was that he lived in my heart. I have lived most of my life under the illusion of the "Little Engine that Could". I always thought that I could do it. When the going got tough...I would try harder. I would muster up the strength and give it my best shot...it sounds good and noble...but it wasn't. I always believed "I could do it!"...but doesn't the heart of the gospel say "nope...quit trying...you can't do it"? Now, I am not saying don't try...but I am saying, don't try alone.

"I am sending the promise of my father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with the power on high." Luke 24:49
"Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, the Helper will not come to you. But, if I go, I will send him to you." John 16:7

So, all you "Christians in the mud"...it is time to get out. For the sake of your joy, get out and get into His plan. Delight yourself in Him, give Him glory and thus get your Joy. You have "power from on high" and a "helper"...don't let your pride keep you from calling out.


Fight On

No comments: